Saturday, March 5, 2011

aka

Every mama out there knows that there is nothing worse than a sick baby.  And when I say baby I mean five-year-old (aka: Little B).

Yesterday, as we sat watching Charlotte's Web (aka: ridiculous tear-jerker), I reached over to give Little B a squeeze during Charlotte's languishing.  My baby was on fire (aka: ghastly temperature).

As I read the digital numbers of 102* on the thermometer, I morphed into turbo-mom in under 3.5 seconds.  I know I don't look that fast, but trust me, this mama was built for speed in crisis.

I cancelled our fun plans for the afternoon and evening and went to my drug arsenal (aka: the hall closet) for Little B's treatment.  We have lots of random over-the-counter meds  because of Papa (aka: my dad). No, Papa is not some weird druggie, but a retired man of frugality and humility who happens to lack the ability to pass on a freebie.  Way out east, in the strange land of Ohio, there is a drug store on every corner.  Walgreens, CVS, The Medicine Shop, Rite Aid.  You name it, they've got one less than a half mile from where you are standing.  I only wish that were an exaggeration.  Fortunately for my dad, these businesses frequently offer crazy rebates, which result in free product.  He's also an avid coupon collector, so I'd venture to guess that the stores are frequently paying him.  I have a theory about him being a millionaire; he never lets anyone near his sock drawer.

Needless to say, I've got quite a collection of random remedies (aka: stuff I'll never use).  I figured it best to stick to the classic Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen regimen until the fever broke, which wouldn't take long, right?

Wrong.

Little B ran fevers a lot when she was a baby, but they hardly lasted more than 12 hours.  There was one inexplicable five day bout when she was 2, but it's really been smooth sailing outside of that.  This episode is proving to have more tenacity than most.  She's been running this fever for more than 24 hours and it's hovering between 100* and 102* and won't come down.

Mamas don't like things they can't make better. Especially when your baby is just not acting like herself.

Strange: The poor girl has only gotten out of bed to go to the bathroom. 
Stranger: She's been in her bed since 9pm last night.
Strangest: She hasn't asked to play the computer or watch TV.

You'd be a little weirded out, too!

So Mr. B & I been at her bedside trying to keep her company, because that is the only thing she has asked for.  She's taken a couple of naps today and eaten both of her meals in bed.  And no, I can't do too much outside of love, hugs and Advil, but I can make her the comfort food she loves...

Macaroni & Cheese
2 cups pasta (any macaroni-friendly pasta will do)
1 T. olive oil
1 T. flour
1 c. almond milk (unsweetened/unflavored)
8 oz. Daiya Cheddar Shreds
4 oz. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese           
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. white pepper
1/4 t. paprika
1/8 t. turmeric for color (optional)

Cook your macaroni as directed. While the water is boiling and pasta is cooking, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and flour to make a rue.  Mix constantly until thickened but not browned, which takes about 2 minutes.  Add the milk and stir constantly again, about 3 minutes. Add in the cheeses, seasonings and stir until cheese is melted.  Drain your pasta and then combine both pans into one.  Stir over low heat until all the pasta is generously covered is ooey, gooey cheese. 

You could probably use this cheesy sauce for lots of things, but it does make fantastic mac.  Little B gobbled it up and asked for more...at least her appetite it still good.

Hopefully, she'll knock this fever out soon and get back to her wild self (aka-normal) so I can get back to my normal self (aka: non-turbo).  But hearing the coughs I do now...it doesn't look or sound so good.

aka: CRAP

1 comment:

  1. Kinda sounds like flu. Not the stomach kind, though. That is how I felt when I had it a couple years ago.

    One of my favorite(though a bit hazy) memories from childhood is when I was sick once and my mom and dad sat with me while I was in bed. I remember feeling very loved and special, as I am sure Little B does :) Hope she feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete