Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankfulness: Banana Pecan Rice Pudding

Today I was almost too weary to remember to be thankful. 

When the little cry of pain from the next room hit my ears at 11:45pm, I knew it was going to be a long night. 

Little B has always had ear issues. She had many recurring ear infections, most always double and finally got tubes at 18 months.  Since abandoning dairy, the frequency of ear infections has drastically decreased. But still, there are nights like last night. 

Mr. B, the amazing husband that he is, offered to stay up with Little B while she cried until she fell asleep.  Wonderful right? I could sleep.

WRONG.

How many mothers do you know that can sleep through their child's cries of pain?

So around three o'clock, I drifted to sleep.  I promised Little B the next day that we would do whatever she wanted.  Yes, I suffer from that very special guilt that plagues mothers who can't be with their children when they are sick. Don't get me wrong - I am very fortunate my Mr. B's job is flexible enough for him to stay home with her and cart her to the doctor, but this doesn't mean that I don't wish I were the one caring for my baby girl.

Her first request was to play Harry Potter Lego on the wii. Our good friends, the Petersons, let us borrow their game when I was sick with mono.  Now Little B thinks this is some unalienable right when one is under the weather.

Yes, the pastor's wife and her kid played a video game about wizards and magic.  And yes, I have turned a post about ear infections into one about young adult sci-fi/fantasy novels.  Hey, at least I'm not taking her to the midnight showing of Breaking Dawn tomorrow night. I don't need her thinking I am a vampire because I never age and am indescribably beautiful.
Breaking Dawn Movie Poster

To sidetrack you from the hilarity of the previous comment, I will tell you what I'm thankful for today!

Banana Pecan Rice Pudding Pie
by Dreena Burton

Pudding Mixture:
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
2/3 cup coconut milk (regular or lite for lower fat)
¼ cup brown rice syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ – ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
¼ tsp sea salt (rounded)
3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice (see note)
1 cup ripe (but not overripe) banana, sliced (one small-medium banana)

Topping:
¼ cup pecans, crushed
3 tbsp unrefined sugar (see note)
¼ – ½ tsp cinnamon
couple pinches sea salt
½ – 1 tsp organic canola oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, first combine the arrowroot with a few tablespoons of the coconut milk. Whisk through until the arrowroot is fully dissolved and incorporate. Then, add the remaining coconut milk, and stir through. Whisk in the brown rice syrup until mixed through. Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and then stir in the brown rice and sliced banana. Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled (wipe bottom and sides with a smear of canola oil) 9 ½” glass pie plate. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients, working mixture with your fingers until a little crumbly. Sprinkle topping over rice mixture. Bake for 17-20 minutes, until bubbly and thickened. Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes or longer. (The pudding will thicken more as it cools.) Spoon out mixture into bowls and serve, surrounded by a little vanilla non-dairy milk if you like. Serves 4-6.

________________________________________________________________________________


If you are not salivating, you are ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment