Monday, November 21, 2011

Thankfulness: Pumpkin Soft Serve

It is November.  I have one more day of school before Thanksgiving break. The mere thought of 6 hours and 15 minutes of student contact time remaining makes me want to shout from the mountain tops. 

Don't get me wrong. I love my kids. They are sweet, smart, funny, and vivacious. 

I just need a break - a loooooong one. 

I've got a lot coming up here in the next few weeks.  Mr. B. & I are doing live commercials for the Little Theater's Holiday production of It's a Wonderful Life, there's auditions for my show (I'll be shamelessly plugging that in a future blog), my Tech Fair presentation, Board of Education presentation and last, but certainly not least - I'll be taking back my classroom from my student teacher. 

I get sweaty just thinking about the last one. 

I am fortunate enough to have a super-fantastic-uber-patient intern from Kansas State, Mrs. Berns.  She has kept me sane an I teetered on the the brink of insanity this semester.  She has listened to one too many stories about why I'm late, my sad history with socio-pathic beauticians, and on numerous occasions, watched me gorge on pomegranate blueberry rice cakes.  She is a saint.  Our school is very lucky to have her join our staff as a para for the rest of the school year.

As I embark upon the holiday season with all this business on my plate (and no student teacher to help me manage), I am thankful for that special food we reach for when we are stressed (and sweaty):
ICE CREAM.

I was never much of an ice cream fan, so the following recipe for pumpkin ice cream is great for me.  I wasn't looking for it to live up to Ben & Jerry's. It doesn't, but I don't care!
Vegan Pumpkin Soft Serve

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh is best)
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
2 T. agave nectar (or other sweetener, like maple syrup)
1 cup pumpkin puree, frozen
1 small banana, frozen
coconut milk, as needed.
 
Set out your pumpkin puree to let it soften a bit. Throw all the ingredients except the almond milk,  into your food processor and let her rip.  Scrap down the side as necessary. Depending on your preference of texture, you can add small amounts of coconut milk to achieve the desired consistency. 
 
Feel free to use whatever dairy-free milk you have on hand.  Any will work, but I think coconut adds the most creaminess.  The cardamom is optional.  I am addicted to it like I am reading, so I find a way to add a dash into whatever I am baking...or destroying in my food processor. 

This is a recipe I made up as I went, so looks like I am thankful for me today.  That wasn't ever my plan, but alas, here we are.  I am so grateful for myself. I am so glad there is a me who can randomly throw stuff together and have it taste good 5 times out of10 9 times out of 10.

I promise to be much less self-absorbed and referential tomorrow...
depending on how I am feeling. 

Ha. Ha.

 Maybe tomorrow I can be thankful for my sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully it goes fast!! This looks good. Nicole and I will give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete